Monday, May 18, 2009

Jealousy

I gotta say, I am very much enjoying the new faces around here. Not that they are new characters, but sort of reincarnations of the ones I love. It's almost like they have more confidence in themselves. Although, to every good, there has to be a little bad. Life would be too perfect if things were always roses and champagne. Which leads me to me little conversation with Jaryn last night. We've finished "The Shack" and are now reading "Windhaven." They all seem to like this one better because it's sci-fi/fantasy and makes them think a little less. Heaven forbid a character that has to question their belief system. As everyone scattered, Jaryn lingered behind. I set the book aside and pulled out my homework for small group. Noticing him sitting on my lamp, I gave him a second glance. "Everything all right?"

"Yeah, fine. Just thought I might read ahead if you don't mind. I'm curious to see if she steals the wings or not."

"Yeah, sure. But wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose of storytime? I have plenty of other books you can read."

"Oh, okay. That's cool." He nodded, but didn't really move to check out my book shelves.

"Jaryn, what's up? You're acting kinda weird."

"What? No, I'm good."

"Really?" I put my study book down and looked fully at him. There was a certain look of depression about him that I had never seen before in his entire life. All six months of it. "What's going on with you? Are you rethinking your look? Goatee not all it's cracked up to be? The itching driving you crazy?"

"No, nothing. It's fine. I'm just looking for something to read."

I pursed my lips, studying him for a moment. When he apparently had nothing else to say, I shrugged and went back to my work. "Okay. Have a good night."

Still he just sat there. I would probably have been a little creeped out if he were watching me, but he was just staring. At nothing. When I thought he might fall asleep there, his dam finally burst. "Why did you have to bring him here?"

I sighed, inwardly of course, realizing it was potentially going to be a long night. "Who?"

"Noah."

I'm sure my expression gave away my confusion. "What are you talking about? I thought you guys were cool. You and Kenayde were the first to befriend him when he was with The Others."

He jumped up, pointing at me. "Ah ha! See? There it is! You say that like he isn't still part of them."

"Well, he's kinda not. I mean...he went away and came back like most of you did. And now he fits in with you guys. He's in the book now."

"I know!" His eyebrows were practically disappearing into his hairline. "You made him one of us!"

"Whoa, whoa whoa! So now we're back at them and us? Dude! What is going on."

He glared at me, saying nothing. After a moment, he looked pointedly away. I followed his gaze and saw what else he was glaring over. Over by the far wall, under a picture of a starry sky full of magical faeries, sat Aislyn and Noah in rather close proximity. Now I understood. "See?" he asked darkly.

"They're just...talking." Though even from where I was sitting, they looked like they were sitting a little too close for comfort. "So why don't you go over there and squeeze between them?"

"Because that's all they've been doing since he came back. They're like best friends or something."

Or something. "Jaryn, she's your woman! Are you really just going to sit idly by and watch another man steal her away?"

"It's the wings," he lamented. "What girl wouldn't love wings?"

"Get a hold of yourself, man!" I pointed the squirt bottle I use for the cats at him. He cowered for a moment before dissolving into tears. He practically curled himself into the fetal position. "You're a Scotsman, are you not?"

"Yes," he wept.

"Then get your kilted butt over there and fight for her!"

"Do you really think I should do that?"

"How would something like this be settled in the book?"

The dismay gave way to a light of hope in his expression. "Bloodshed."

"Okay, how about we take it down a notch?"

"A duel?" he asked.

"There ya go."

"With a fight to the death?"

"Okay, no. No one is going to die or...bleed. That's all I need is blood on my nice leopard print rug. How about..." My mind was scrambling for a good and definitive competition. "A water war!"

He looked at me doubtfully. "A water war?"

"Yeah, you leave the details up to me. You just go let Noah know he's peeing on the wrong tree. Except...leave the tree peeing thing out. Aislyn might get really offended and that's not a battle I'm prepared for tonight."

Jaryn got up, straightened himself out, and wiped his nose on his sleeve. "Are you using this?" he asked, picking up a little plastic "Ouchless" elastic.

"Uh, no. Knock yourself out." He hopped down, and I was happy to go back to my homework. It was late, I was tired, and would likely have an early morning. All was peaceful until I heard a distinct rushing of air by my ear, and then an "Owwww!" I sat up, looking around in confusion. I saw Aislyn on her feet and Noah doubled over in pain. A quick look around had me finding Jaryn standing triumphantly on my headboard. "Jaryn!"

He ignored me completely, chest all puffed out and everything. "Tomorrow, bird. We will have a duel. At sunset!" And with a maniacal little laugh, he was gone from the room.

"What the heck was that?" Aislyn bent over Noah who was mumbling "Am I bleeding? I think I'm bleeding!"

All I could do was try my hardest not to laugh, and go back to my homework. It was about loving thy neighbor as thyself. Hmm. Maybe I should be reading to them from my bible study instead of a fantasy novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment